Taken from Abstract: A project to house 40 families in the Maharashtra region of India which began in January 2005 was halted shortly after it commenced due to concerns over the loading applied to a series of geodesic domes which form a large portion of the whole complex. Vigyan Ashram, the organisation that manufactures the domes, issued a request for the development of an affordable computer program that would allow them to model the structural response of the domes. The ensuing research into the design of the geodesic domes and the development of a spreadsheet based finite element package are the subject of this dissertation.
- Literature review [ Introduction ~ Pabal ~ Geodesic domes ~ Braced dome analysis ]
- Theory [ Stiffness method ~ Solution methods ~ Post processing ~ Lateral earth pressure ]
- Geodesic dome analysis [ Introduction to Strand7 ~ Coordinate generation ~ Loading ~ Assumptions ~ Analysis ]
- Joint testing [ Introduction ~ Pabal disc joints ~ Dimensional analysis ~ Tension testing ~ Stress analysis ]
- Spreadsheet development [ Package structure ~ FEA_Input ~ FEA_Solver ~ FEA_Output ]
- Conclusions [ Further work recommendations ]
This structural analysis ebook is available FREE at EWB-UK.org website, we merely collect the information, Online Free Ebooks neither affiliated with the author(s), the website and any brands nor responsible for its content and change of content. (Read our disclaimer here or here before you download the document from the website written above by clicking the below link).
Download free Structural Analysis of Geodesic Domes.pdf (68 pages pdf file, 3.6 MB).