Some vehicles with
A non-return valve in the tensioner is designed to trap pressurized engine oil to maintain tension on the timing chain to prevent rattling. If the oil bleeds past the piston in the tensioner, the tension on the upper timing chain is temporarily lost. When the engine is then started, the chain will rattle until oil pressure builds up and recharges the tensioner (at which point the rattle will stop.)
A revised tensioner with an integral oil reservoir has been introduced to overcome this condition starting with the following engine numbers: 4.0L NA 9J160552 & 4.0L SC 9K160558.
This manual is available FREE at
- Download: Jaguar S-Type Technical Service Bulletin S307-06: Difficulty Selecting Range – Stiff Or Restricted Movement – Revised Selector Lever Cable.
- Download: Jaguar X-Type Technical Service Bulletin XT307-S926: Degradation Of Shift Quality – Reprogram TCM – Service Action S926.
- Download: Jaguar Technical Service Bulletin: Climate Control System – Diagnostic Trouble Code Chart.
- Download: Jaguar S-Type Technical Service Bulletin S307-02: Stuck Ignition Key – Modify J-Gate Interlock Lever – Service Action S114.
- Download: Jaguar X-Type Technical Service Bulletin XT307-01: Difficulty Selecting Transmission Ranges – GEARBOX FAULT Message – Reset J-Gate.